Joy and Carpets

Thursday, May 8, 2014






I know that some of you can relate, at least I hope I'm not alone in this. You know when you just finished cleaning your house, and then someone eats and leaves all the dishes in the sink? Or you just finished shampooing your carpets, and then you wake up the next morning and find that your dog had an accident on the floor? This happens to me all the time, and let's be honest here, it totally steals my joy.

 In fact, I tend to get really angry. 

I've been on vacation this entire week, and so yesterday I thought I would spend some time cleaning and doing stuff around the house. I shampooed the carpets like a pro, dusted, did the dishes--the works. I woke up this morning, and saw that my dog had an accident on the floor that I just shampooed

I got so angry. 

After my anger subsided a bit, I figured I had 2 choices: to either let this ruin my last day of vacation, or to clean it up and move on. 

I decided to stick with the latter, because I want this to be a happy day. 


I'm trying to get better at just letting things like this go, because it causes me to sin: I get angry, I don't end up showing the love of Christ, and I certainly don't feel like being kind. 

A couple years ago I remember telling a lady friend of mine about how much a dirty house bothered me. Her advice was to just let it go. I remember thinking that she was totally crazy, because she didn't realize how for my own sanity that I needed things to be clean. 

She was absolutely right, though. The past couple years I've really worked on letting things go, and it's made me so much happier and less stressed out. 

Life is always going to test our patience, but when we look at it in the scheme of eternity, the little things that bother us become so little.




I hope you all are having a lovely week! 












2 comments :

  1. Yes!

    Whenever I feel myself getting worked up about something I try to pause and take a step back to ask myself, in the grand scheme of things, how big of a deal is this? Usually, it's not.

    Just that quick pause is like a breath of fresh air over my cloudy judgment and helps me straighten out my bad attitude. Small prayer droplets help too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking about something similar the other day! I think living with messy housemates/roommates has taught me a lot about letting things go- which I guess is good practice for marriage...?

    My little way of dealing with things that make me angry has been to purposely keep silent. Just not saying anything, but fuming inside. Then I find that I can come back to the situation later and deal with things clearly and logically without the consequences of doing or saying something that I later regret. Stepping away from the situation for a while is usually a good thing :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger