What a Lovely God we Serve.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014








I've always been a Christian, and I've always felt like the Lord had a tight reign on me all growing up, but there came a time in my life when I realized that my heart had changed. I no longer wanted to live for myself, rather I wanted to live to bring glory to the Lord.

I began to understand His sovereignty, and understand that just because Romans 8:28 says that "He'll work all things together for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose" doesn't mean that it'll be our version of good--In fact, it might break our hearts and bring us pain.

But we know that God see's this for our good.

Maybe someday we'll understand why the Lord allowed certain things to happen in our lives that hurt and sting so badly, but rest assured, He see's this for your good.

My mom passed away March 15th 2008. It was sudden and it was so, so, so hard. When someone that close to you dies, you want to know where they're at, and you want to know for sure.  This began a battle for me. I went through phases where I was completely content, knowing that my mother now rested with the King of Kings. But then there were times where I doubted and I wondered if Jesus was even real; if all this was real.

I was 19 when she died, and it wasn't until I was around 23 that I really started to see God for who He really is: loving, compassionate, full of grace and mercy, sovereign.

I began to have a desire to walk in obedience. A real desire.

I started realizing how sinful I was, and I started really understanding that this sin, well, it just doesn't work.

Sin doesn't work.

Around this time in my life is when I met my dear Rory. Rory was stable and solid in his faith. He set an example for me, and still does to this day. It took a few unhealthy relationships for me to find this one, but this one...it's here to stay.

This morning I started remembering where I was and where I'm at now. How much growth I've seen! The Lord is so faithful to complete the work He started.

The Lord has taken this heart of stone, and turned it into a heart of flesh.

I pray that each one of you reading my blog will be encouraged and know that God never stops growing us into who He has called us to be. When we fall down, He'll pick us right back up.

What a lovely God we serve.





11 comments :

  1. Such wonderful thoughts and so true! God is good all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine losing someone so close to you at such a young age. I'm so thankful through all the things you've gone through you have never lost sight of the. Lord, that no matter what he is there. Beautiful post!

    Danica

    http://lovedanica.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alyssa, thank you for sharing. I lost my dad when I was 14, so I can empathize. I love that sentiment that all things are for our good, and that God really is working in and through us even in the most painful times. As an adult I can look back to see all of the good that came from something so tragic, and how it changed and shaped me for the better. You are such a great example of faith! Thank you for sharing your profound, lovely thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are all just so awesome. I'm so blessed to have so many amazing blogger buddies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post! I love to see people talk about God on the internet! :)

    www.ensembledeux.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post - so true!

    www.madeintheshadeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a beautifully written post. You're so right in God being faithful even when life might not seem fair!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen!

    I'm so sorry for the loss of your Mama. How tremendously hard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this Allyssa! I lost my mom when I was 16 so I totally understand the struggle and have had all of these same thoughts myself. It's hard to remember sometimes that His plan is for our good when it hurts so bad. I know your mom has to be so proud of the way you've faced the challenges in your life and the woman you've become :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful post! I love the point that God's version of good might not be exactly what you thought you wanted. I am in the thick of struggling with seeing were God's good is right now- my head knows it is there, but my heart is struggling to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing such a personal story with us. I'm so happy I've found a fellow Christian blogger to follow. I'm now following you on GFC, please check me out, and if you like what you see, follow me too xxx
    http://louiseabenamensah.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger