Working out and being Healthy

Monday, April 28, 2014




I read the above quote in a book, and I quickly whipped out my iPhone and wrote it down. Quotes aren't something that generally inspire me. I'm more inspired by scripture and rightfully so, but this one did something to me. 

I used to hate hard things. In my past, I've definitely been someone who doesn't do something, just because it's takes way more effort than I want to give. Eating healthy and getting into better shape is something that I always looked at as hard, and something that took so much effort patience that I just didn't have. 

The truth is that eating well and working out aren't complex things, they're actually very simple--we make it hard. 

We complain that it's too hard to get in shape, we're lazy, but then we turn around and complain how out of shape we are and how badly we want to fit in those jeans, but we can't. We totally can, though. We have control over what we kinds of foods we eat, how much we eat, and if we choose to be active or not. 

We can't blame our body being out of shape on anyone other than ourselves, and that's just a harsh reality. 

We've all grown so accustomed to living for the moment, instead of looking ahead to how this moment will eventually effect our future goals. Isn't it funny that something as simple as a cookie can be more important to us than reaching our goals in that moment of weakness? 

We just have to be honest with ourselves, which is never an easy thing. I know it isn't for me. 

Now that I've totally depressed you all ( I certainly hope not), I wanted to share some of the steps that I've been taking to reach my goals.



 1. I changed my thoughts.  I started realizing just how much control I have over the way I feel, look, and what I eat. I started being real with myself. We make the process of getting in shape and eating better so much harder than it is. Our biggest enemy when it comes to this, and the number one thing getting in our way is ourselves. This is a really important step, because without this step, you won't be motivated for what follows.

 I so wish that I could magically snap my fingers and be in the best shape of my life, but it doesn't work that way. Just like the quote I mentioned above--there are no short cuts, but being in shape, eating healthy, and taking care of this body that the Lord so graciously gave us is totally a place worth going.



2. I changed my diet. I drastically changed my diet. I went from being a vegetarian to turning around and becoming full-on Paleo. Paleo has forever changed the way I look at food. I swear my stomach was instantly flatter when I completely cut out gluten and processed foods. Give it a try, friend. I promise you won't regret it and you'll feel amazing.  If you want to know more about Paleo, check out the book Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo.


3. I changed my workouts.  My workout's used to consist of going to the gym, getting in a ton of cardio (or running outside), and lifting lighter weights with more reps. This wasn't giving me the results that I wanted. A lot of people in the Paleo community are very much into Crossfit style workouts. These type of workouts focus on compound movements, as well as lifting heavy. After doing a ton of research, I also realized that all that running I was doing was not doing much for me, and that I would likely get more results from doing high-intensity intervals when it came to cardo. The only time I run now is after my workout, and I'll do sprints and then get on the ground and do X amount of sit ups, then I get back up, sprint again, and drop back down and do more sit ups. I repeat this until I can't do it anymore. This gives me much more of a workout than running 3 miles ever did, and it's not as hard on my body.

The workouts that I follow are from Jen Sinklers Lift Weights Faster book. The book also came with  Eat Better Faster and Cook Better Faster, by Diane Sanfilippo of Balanced Bites and the author of the book Practical Paleo that I mentioned earlier.



These workouts are done in circuits, so for example you'll do the following:

 Dumbbell Squats, Double rows, Alternating One Leg Squats, Mountain climbers with a push up.

 You'll do each exercise 8 times, then you'll start over and do each one 7 times, etc...

By the time you're done, you'll feel like you just ran 10 miles, but you're not running, you're lifting weights.



4. I Quit caring so much about numbers. This is probably the hardest step. I don't know about you, but when I'm trying to get in shape, I want to step on that scale several times a day and see my number go down. This is detrimental! I can tell you that recently my pants have been fitting so much better--even though the scale isn't showing the number that I'd like it to. Don't obsess over the scale, because what really matters is that you can see change. 


5. Be Patient. This is probably the most important step that I've had to take. Being patient is not something that comes easy to most of us--especially when it comes to getting in shape. Often times losing weight and getting in shape at a slow and steady pace will result in you maintaining your weight for the long hall. It's not fun when you're losing like half a pound a week, but it'll be so worth it in the end.

We also have to remember to not only be patient with our body as we're trying to change it, but to also be patient with ourselves. There is going to be times when we "fall off the wagon," so to speak. But you know what? We can just get right back on! We're all human and sometimes we'll give into that glorious cookie. Oh well! Don't let that set you back, just keep moving forward.




What steps have you taken to get in better shape?










8 comments :

  1. I couldn't agree with you more on that quote. Some things you can take shortcuts on like finding a quicker route to a place, when you want a big or drastic thing though there isn't always gonna be a shortcut or quickfix, as it's a work in progress. xx
    http://louiseabenamensah.blogspot.co.uk/ (Beauty & Lifestyle Blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree. It TOTALLY starts with a mind change! I've sort of recommitted to this journey. I had roller coastered for a few years trying different things and then getting fed up. I'm SO trying to change my head space into the lifelong journey mindset.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! A mind change is a perfect way to revamp things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, LOVE this!! You are beautiful, my friend. Inside and out!
    I loooove that quote! It's a perfect reminder that sometimes the hard stuff is worth it. I think it's hard until we are actually doing it, then it just seems normal. It does take more effort to eat healthier and work out better (or more intensely) but it just becomes the norm once you actually do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this!! It is so true. WE have made it harder than it has to be. It takes effort, but you have shown it is do-able and worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Changing the thoughts... Oh that's such a challenging part of the process that's an EVERY DARN DAY choice. I hate that especially on those days that don't go well. You're doing beautiful things for yourself, I JUST KNOW. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great post! I really struggle with finding the commitment to work out everyday. I always think "it's just so hard" when in reality it's not at all! Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger