My Chief End

Wednesday, April 2, 2014




     I just recently started reading the book Anne of Green Gables. I don't know why I never picked it up in the past; it's such a sweet little book. I grew up watching the movies, but I never read the novels. I'm regretting that, because I'm actually getting really inspired by little Anne. I honestly don't know how one could read a book such as this, and not be a little bit inspired to see the world in a different way. 

  I love how Anne takes pleasures in the little things in life. It's such a shame that we often times have to remind ourselves to take pleasure in the little things. I'm totally speaking for myself, but I'm sure there are others who feel this way, as well. My life gets so busy. I work full time, have a serious boyfriend, teach AWANA at my church, take dance lessons, workout, and so most of the time I find myself looking back at my week and wondering where the heck it went. In fact, the last couple of nights I've gone to bed, and I think about how there has to be more to life than these every day things. Am I wishing for something more? Am I just not content with my life? Am I feeling guilty because I don't feel like I've spread the gospel enough? These are all things that run through my mind every single night when my head hits the pillow. 

   I want so badly to just live for Jesus. I want to spread Gods word to the world, and tell others about all He has done for me and what he can do for you. Instead, I make this life about me, and about what I can get out of it. A husband? Children? A perfectly clean house? These are all things that I desire so badly, and while they're not bad desires, they can become sinful very quickly. We somehow think that once we have all of the said things that our life will be perfect and we'll finally feel complete and content--totally not true! I must admit that I've caught myself thinking that way, though. 

  It's become so apparent to me how easy it is to live for the world and not for Jesus. It's a shame, really. It's so easy to get caught up in wanting to have this, that and the other, and completely pushing Jesus aside. I've literally had to hammer into my head that this world isn't about me and it isn't about you, either; it's all about Jesus. 

  Why can't we be like Anne Shirley and stare out our window at the flowers and be in absolute awe at what God created for us to enjoy--something as simple as flowers. Why are we always waiting for something bigger and better to come along? Because we're sinful, that's why. I'm so thankful for the Holy Spirit. I'm thankful that he convicts me of such things, because it's so easy for me to get caught up in the wanting, "needing" and desiring of things that have nothing to do with Jesus. 

 I stumbled across the Westminster Catechism, which was written in 1646 and 1647 by the Westminster Assembly. These were used a lot to help children and new Christians to learn more about the Lord and about His word.  If you don't know what a Catechism is, it's a series of questions and answers that you memorize. It's not scripture, but it's based off of scripture, and I find it very useful, mostly because it just gets you thinking about things. Here's a couple that I really like:


Question. 1. What is the chief end of man?

Answer. Man's chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy him for ever.


Q. What is it to glorify God?

A:  Glorifying God consists in four things: 1. Appreciation, 2. Adoration, 3. Affection, 4. Subjection. 


Q. In how many ways may we glorify God?

Answer. 1. It is glorifying God when we aim purely at his glory. It is one thing to advance God's glory, another thing to aim at it. God must be the Terminus ad quem, the ultimate end of all actions. Thus Christ, John 8:50, "I seek not mine own glory, but the glory of him that sent me." A hypocrite has a crooked eye, for he looks more to his own glory than God's. Our Saviour deciphers such, and gives a caveat against them in Matthew 6:2, "when thou givest alms, do not sound a trumpet." A stranger would ask, "What means the noise of this trumpet?" It was answered, "They are going to give to the poor." And so they did not give alms, but sold them for honour and applause, that they might have glory of men; the breath of men was the wind that blew the sails of their charity; "verily they have their reward." The hypocrite may make his acquittance and write, "received in full payment." Chrysostom calls vainglory one of the devil's great nets to catch men. And Cyprian says, "whom Satan cannot prevail against by intemperance, those he prevails against by pride and vainglory." Oh let us take heed of self-worshipping! Aim purely at God's glory.



This isn't the whole thing, but if you're interested in reading the rest of it, you can click here.


Overall, I want to bring glory to the Lord when I'm doing my every day things, and make sure that I'm not living for myself, rather I'm living for Him. I'm thankful that I have a Christian community here in the blog world to have " Coffee Dates" with, so we can enourage and point one another to Christ.






                 

This was a linkup with Rachel from Oh simple thoughts

Oh Simple Thoughts





4 comments :

  1. Hi Allyssa! Such a joy to have you link up with us today! Thank you for sharing your heart...it is so sweet to stop and see the Lord in the everyday. I have a friend here in Mississippi that I feel is very gifted in that and it is truly a delight to be around her and see the way she views the whole world and all of life through the lenses of the Jesus. Amen to that! Such a renewal of the mind takes place when we can see the Gospel in the mundane and everyday. Happy to connect with you. much love!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that! Seeing the Gospel in the mundane and everyday! That's exactly what we all need! Thank you so much for stopping by! I love connecting with people who love Jesus. :)

      Delete
  2. Okay, firstly, I adore adore adore Anne Of Green Gables. The entire series is amazing and you need to read every single book. I always wanted to be Anne, but I am much more of a Diana character :)

    Secondly, we love the Westminster Catechism. I've been working on the first series of questions with Abigail. It is so so helpful to break down beginner theology for her!

    What denomination do you go to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Courtney!

      I always wanted to be Anne, too! I used to live in the country, and I remember dressing up in elegant clothing, and I would carry a basket around a pick flowers, pretending I was Anne--I was always living in a different world than the one that I was actually living in. haha!

      I go to a Baptist church, but we definitely have reformed roots. What about you? :)

      Delete

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger