A Case for Raw Milk

Monday, April 21, 2014





 I've mentioned this on here before, but I'm very interested in Holistic Nutrition. I'm currently taking an online class on just that, and there seems to be a bit of a debate on raw milk vs. pasteurized milk. Is it good? bad? Shoot, this could even be something that you actually have never thought about before.

Before I go on my little tangent, I want to start off by saying that I do still have regular half and half in my coffee when I go to Starbucks, or when my coconut milk isn't with me. This is the only time that I ever drink any dairy. I'm honestly not a huge fan of milk in general, but I do buy raw dairy products when I make it to the Farmers Market. Im not perfect, and I know what it's like to enjoy the taste of store-bought milk as opposed to raw, but I'm working on bringing more raw milk into my diet, as opposed to store-bought, just because I know the health benefits are so much better.

With that said, let's jump into why I believe raw milk is the better choice:




Milk you buy at the grocery store ( or drink in your Starbucks) is hardly milk.  

And here's why:

The milk we buy at the grocery stores has been pasteurized. This is when they heat up the milk to a high heat to kill all the possible germs and bacteria in the milk.  This sounds like a good thing, right? Well, it has it's pro's and con's. When milk is heated up to a high temperature, it's actually killing a ton of the nutrients that we would like to get from milk; it's even killing the good bacteria that we need. I'm not saying that factory-based milk is completely void of nutrition, but it certainly isn't anything in comparison to raw milk.

Another thing to take into consideration is what the cows are eating, because what they eat will determine what nutrients we get from the milk. The majority of factory farms feed their cows grains ( and lord knows what else!); this is not what cows are supposed to be eating. Cows should be eating grass! Why? This is what cows would be eating if they weren't in a factory, and this is what will keep them healthy. Not only that, we're getting more NUTRIENTS because they're not eating crappy food.

The majority of the milk that you buy at the grocery store has also been homogenized. What's this, you say? Well, when milk is natural, the fat particles, or the cream, will separate. Because of this, factories homogenize their milk to make the fat particles shrink to be more uniform with the rest of the milk ( basically so there isn't any separation in the milk). Often times they even skim off the cream on the top and take out most of the fat; this is actually where we get the term " skim milk" from. Interesting, eh? Taking off the fat might seem appealing to those people who are scared of fat, but really, we're missing out of a ton of fat-soluble vitamins when we're not getting that fat--vitamins A and D.








 Bottom line? We're totally not getting the bang for our buck by drinking conventional milk. So why aren't we drinking Raw milk? Because people are scared of getting sick from it. From what I've read, only 1 in 6 million people actually catch something from drinking raw milk. That's a stinkin' small percentage if you ask me! Most of the raw milk that we buy is from local farmers who know a heck of a lot about the right way to raise their cows; what to be feeding them, etc...



                Here's what I want to know: what do YOU think about raw milk? yay or nay?





2 comments :

  1. I love this! I love the idea of raw milk, but I'm lactose intolerant, so it's wasted on me. I've looked into it for my husband and for cooking though, and the only bummer is the higher price point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you learned any about the benefits of switching to whole instead of skim? I've been trying to do that instead, so that we're at least reducing as much "add-in's" and sugar as possible. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger