Skin Care

Monday, March 31, 2014

 
   Happy Monday, friends! I hope you're having a wonderful day. If it's anything like mine, you're already on your second bowl cup of coffee.

   Today I thought I would share with you the skin care products that I use.  All growing up I had terrible acne, and it even rolled over into my adult years. I've tried every single thing that you can think of when it comes to acne treatment. I've been on oral medication, topical medication, Proactive, a million different face washes, etc... and nothing ever worked; it seemed like the more products I used, the more acne I would get. It wasn't until I switched to the following skin care routine that my skin really started healing.



Activated Charcoal Soap//  Friends, this stuff is AMAZING. The activated charcoal pulls out all of the toxins in your skin, and it's a miracle worker for acne. I actually have a friend who makes this soap for me, so I don't use this specific one, but this one seems to be pretty popular on etsy, so you should check it out. I would say out of all of the skin care products that I mention here, this is the absolute must have. I don't plan on ever using a different soap again. This stuff works! I promise if you try it, you won't be disappointed.




Bamboo Activated Charcoal Soap - All Natural Soap, Handmade Soap, Unscented Soap, Detox Soap, Vegan Soap by RockyTopSoapShop on Etsy



Witch Hazel & Tea Tree oil toner// I just mix this together myself and store it in a little spray bottle. When I'm done washing my face with the charcoal soap, I just spritz the mixture of this on my face, and then wipe it off with a cotton ball.  Witch Hazel has a lot of disinfectant properties, and is really good at reducing inflammation, so it's really good for acne. It also doesn't irritate your skin, which is really nice, because a lot of acne products tend to dry out your skin. The tea tree oil is fantastic for killing bacteria, so this combination is a total acne-fighting machine! You can buy the witch hazel here and the Tea Tree Oil here.

 

 
 
 
Vitamin E oil// I'm getting to the age where I need to start really thinking about ways to prevent wrinkles. Vitamin E seemed like the perfect option, because it has amazing anti-aging effects on the skin. This can get pretty greasy, so I just use this around my eyes before I go to bed at night. Buy it here
 
 
 



     That's it! I really think that less is more when it comes to skin care. But with that said, I've compiled a list of bonus tips for you, as well.
 
 
1. You are what you eat: I know you all have heard this term before, but it couldn't be more true. What you put in your body will absolutely effect the outside. Stay away from sugar ( soda, candy, etc..). Soda especially has caused me to break out in the past, so cutting that out is a must if you're wanting to clear up your skin. Also, quit all that fried food! The Paleo diet is really, really good for your skin, as well, because your only eatting real, nutrient-dense food.
 
2. Drink plenty of water: Our skin needs moisture, so drinking water will definitely help that. Drinking water won't "heal" your acne, but it will definitely help in keeping our skin hydrated, which in turn helps prevent fine lines and wrinkles.
 
3. Wash your pillow case more often: I'm going to be honest and tell you for the longest time I didn't even think about my pillow case being something that could worsen my breakout's. It totally makes sense, though: the oils, and all the stuff that's on our face when we go to bed at night, ends up on our pillow, and our face is touching that every single day. ew!
 
4. Rinse off your face after a workout: I must admit that I'm not consistent in doing this, but I do know that it makes a difference. Keeping all that sweat on your face for a long period of time will just clog up your pours--especially if you're wearing makeup while working out.
 
5. Try the oil cleansing method: My sister does this, and apparently it works wonders. You can read up on it and see if this is something that works for you.
 
6. Get plenty of sleep and reduce stress: When we're stressed out our body releases a hormone, called Cortisol, and when Cortisol is released, it raises our blood sugar. This can accelerate the effects of wrinkles, dryness and acne.  Relax and sleep! I know this is much easier said than done. I'm pretty good about getting adequate amounts of sleep, but I still don't have 100% control of my stress levels. It's a work in progress :)
 
7. Cut back on dairy products: I know this isn't going to be a popular suggestion, but reducing your intake of dairy and/or cutting it out completely will remarkably improve your skin. I'm not totally schooled on this topic, but I do know that the sugar in milk can cause your insulin levels to spike, which can effect your hormones. I know several people who have cut out dairy and it totally healed their skin. Give it a shot!
 
While there are other tips I could give you, I feel the ones mentioned above are the most important.
 
If you're at all interested, check out the following link to Liz Wolfe's Skintervention guide.
 
I listen to Liz Wolfe on the Balanced Bites podcast, and I really trust her judgement when it comes to nutrition and skin care. Be careful, though, she might convince you to eat sardines. ( I'm only kind-of kidding).
 
I hope this helped you in one way or another. I know how frustrating it is to have acne when you're an adult. It's been a problem of mine for what seems like eternity. I still don't have perfect skin, but I know that being consistent not only in washing your face regularly, but also maintaining good nutrition, will heal your body from the inside out!
 
 
 
Do you have any tips for healthy skin? Share them with me!
 
 

4 comments :

  1. Totally with you on the pillow case thing, I have found that helps a ton with oily skin!

    agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with the less is more approach...I always found that the fancier, more drying products made my acne worse. This is the second good review I've read about charcoal soap...I'm so curious now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jayda! You must try it! Seriously. It does WONDERS. I'm obsessed with it. =]

      Delete
  3. I've been looking for something good around my eyes, especially at night. I'll have to try Vitamin E!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger