Real food

Friday, March 28, 2014




     In case you haven't notice, there is a lot of food posts on here. I've become incredibly passionate about food and how it effects our health and well-being. My thoughts on food has changed drastically the past several months, and I feel like I've finally found something that works--it's not a diet, nor is it a quick fix, but it's something that I honestly feel very strongly about.

I'm one of those people who has tried it all--counting calories, being a vegetarian, eating the SAD ( standard American diet), and working out like crazy and seeing absolutely no results. I've also been known to give up, because nothing I was doing was helping me lose weight I needed to and feel good in the process.

For a few years now I have been learning a ton about the Paleo lifestyle. You might hear the word "Paleo" and cringe a little bit, because I'm sure this isn't the first time you've heard about it; if it is the first time you've heard about it, I'll assume you live in a cave and have completely isolated yourself from society. ha! But seriously, I'm assuming you've at least heard about it. If you haven't, then I'll give you a little run-down:

Paleo stands for Paleolithic. The Paleolithic era is said to be the stone age (or when "cavemen" existed), and it's based on the idea that our "ancestors" were hunter-gatherers. Basically, they ate what they could hunt and/or gather. Now, as you can probably presume, this is very much an Evolutionary approach. I do not stand by Evolution. I am very much a creationist. With that said, I'm not going to agree with everything that Paleo stands for, as far as the Evolutionary history behind it. I do, however, agree with the approach that it takes to eating real food.




I know we all probably think we know what real food is, but the majority of what we eat OR drink is actually filled with a ton of stuff that isn't real. On several different occasions I've heard it referred to as "edible products"--things that are man-made, and not something that comes directly from the ground or from a creature. That's right, folks--cereal, boxed mac and cheese, frozen pizza's ( as yummy as they are), are not considered real food. Honestly, I can't even believe that companies are even allowed to market certain cereals as healthy, because the majority of them consist mostly of synthetic ingredients ( a bunch of fake junk).

Real food is just that--real food. Food that doesn't come in packages, and doesn't contain a whole bunch of ingredients that we can't pronounce. I can't tell you how many times I thought something was healthy, and then I looked at the ingredients and it contained high-fructose corn syrup, and was partially homogenized ( meaning they add hydrogen to oil to make it more stable or saturated, which in turn makes the product last longer, but causes so much stress to our body, because it has to work so much harder to metabolize).

What do you think people ate during the time when Jesus was on earth? When food wasn't produced in ginormous factories, and didn't contain a whole bunch of fake ingrediants? People made their own food, because they couldn't go down the street to their local McDonalds. And guess what? They were healthier, lived longer, and they probably felt a heck of a lot better than the majority of the world does right now.

We're making our body work harder than it really should when we eat a whole bunch of food that isn't good for us, and in turn, it's making us feel a heck of a lot crappier than we would feel otherwise. The crazy thing about all of this is that we're totally doing it to ourselves. We have so much more control over how our body feels than we might think, which is really encouraging if you ask me.

There's seriously so much I want to say about this topic, but there's no way that I can fit it all in one post. I do want to add that I don't think we should be crazy obsessed with what we're eating, because stress can be just as bad for our health as eating a big juicy burger from McDonalds. I just think we should be mindful of what we put into the body that God gave us. I can whole-heartidly say that I feel a million times better since I've been eating real food. My stomache is flatter, I don't feel bloated and my digestive issue's have cleared up. Since this has helped me feel better in more ways than one, I feel obligated to share it with other people. Plus, I just really like talking about food.







                                          

    

1 comment :

  1. Love this!! I've been trying to be more careful about eating real food lately, and it makes such a difference. I'm not completely paleo or anything, but I do think that real food is always the way to go :-)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger