Putting on the honesty hat

Thursday, January 9, 2014

   If you're like me, you've already read a million blog posts regarding the new year. Everyone has new goals, and everyone is hopeful that they'll follow through with those goals, unlike the previous year, where their goals went out the window sometime around February. It's true, a new year really does something to all of us; it refreshes us, and in some ways, brings some sort of hope into our minds that this year is going to be something special. Rory was telling me that one of his co-workers said that she didn't make resolutions, that she's just an "I'm going to get my crap together" kind of girl. I liked that. It sums up exactly how I feel about 2014--The year where I get my crap together. I know the word crap doesn't sound too lady-like; however, it works rather well. Yes?

  I'm going to put on the honesty hat right now, and humbly confess that I'm someone who really stinks at being disciplined with certain aspects of my life--especially with my money. It makes me feel a little better that the majority of society struggles with this, but I would like to be different than the majority. I've gotten much better as I've gotten older, but there's still quite a bit of growing that I have to do in the discipline department, but let me tell you, it's a constant battle between wanting that really awesome pair of shoes, and wanting to put that money into savings. These two fight, and they fight hard. Typically the awesome pair of shoes finish the race with a win.

 I'm getting older. I'm going to be 26 in a few short months, and the thought of that brings my head that tends to float up in the clouds back down to reality. I need to honor God with my money; I shouldn't be spending it on all these frivolous things that I totally don't need; it's not wise, and it's certainly not glorifying God.

My dearest Rory has given me a ton of advice on money saving. He's been really good with his money, and he's really been encouraging me and helping me find ways I can cut back on my spending. I can say that I've done exceptionally well with my money so far in 2014. I've been able to dump more money than I ever thought I could into savings, and I've cut back on my Starbucks outings and eating out. I'm taking baby steps {I cant say that without thinking about What About Bob}, and those baby steps certainly pay off and make a difference in your bank account.

Of course there's other things in my life that need some fine tuning, but this is an area that I'm choosing to really focus on, not only this year, but for the rest of my life.

                     What money saving methods do you use?



     

5 comments :

  1. "Getting my crap together"! I really like that too, actually. So simple but yet so effective! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the "getting my crap together" idea too! Ha! Check out Dave Ramsey sometime (www.daveramsey.com) and tune into his show or listen to his audiobook sometimes. It's how my husband and I finally got on the same page with money when we were newly married and I know for certain that it helped save our marriage a long time ago.

    http://cheathamblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/debt-free-our-story.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I think the word crap is a great description. It works perfectly. You have some good, down to earth, realistic goals. The best of luck to you this year in achieving them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not one to set resolutions either! I did set a goal to be a better me last year and it worked out well. This years goal is to enjoy each day to the fullest with a grateful heart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post, Allyssa!

    I agree with April - check out Dave Ramsey... my husband and I took the class at our church and it is a wonderful introduction to saving, spending, and honoring God with your money!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger