Pallet Decor

Monday, December 9, 2013

Hello, friends! Happy Saturday! Aren't Saturday's just the greatest thing? I just love them. You know what else I love? Making things! There's just something about being able to look at something when you're all finished and be able to say " I made that".; it's so fulfilling to me.


With that said, I've been seeing all of these wall pallets around on Pinterest, and I was inspired to make one for myself and thought I would share it with you all! 




Obviously for this project I needed a wood pallet, but I had a hard time finding one, so I decided to just make my own, so with the help of my dear boyfriend I headed over to Lowes, and picked out some wood. Pallets are actually really simple to make, and don't take much time or effort at all. I would definitely recommend having a miter saw to cut the wood--it'll make your life so much easier. 


 I wanted my pallet to have more of a worn look to it, and considering this was brand new wood, I needed to do some things to rough it up a little. I found some vintage stain at Lowes that I thought might do the trick, but first I wanted to give my pallet a nice base. I decided to paint my pallet with white paint before applying the stain ( I bought really cheap white paint, because I knew I was going to put the stain over it).
                                                             {Please excuse my leg in this picture}

                  After I finished painting it, I let it dry for a little while. I wasn't too picky with how long I let it dry, because, again,  I was going for more of a vintage, rustic look, as opposed to something that looked perfect.



After it dried a bit, I dabbed my paint brush in the vintage stain and painted it onto the wood. You do not need to be perfect AT ALL when you do this. After painting the stain onto the wood, I grabbed a paper towel and just rubbed the stain into the wood. If I felt like it needed a little more, I just added a little more paint, and rubbed it in again.


I continued to repeat that process to the entire pallet

  

When I  finished staining the entire pallet, I started stenciling the letters on. I'm stenciling part of an old hymn that I like.


After I was done stenciling, I decided to trace over them with white paint.




                                                                

This is how it turned out


I really wanted to paint hearts between on either side of "to", but that didn't turn out so great, so instead, I got a wood chisel, and chiseled hearts out. It ended up looking super great, because the blonde wood ended up showing through, which added a nice touch to the pallet as a whole. 

Here is the finished product!




Isn't it cute? I have to say, I was giddy after Rory hung this up in my room for me. It was just the perfect thing to add to my room decor & it was really simple to make!  


What fun things have you made?

9 comments :

  1. that turned out so well - I am so not crafty but it looks pretty simple, maybe I'll have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is such a cute DIY! Did you think of it yourself? Love!

    xx Missy
    www.myconcretecatwalk.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missy,

    This definitely was not an origional idea; I saw it on Pinterest; however, I did figure out how to make a pallet myself, so I guess I can pat myself on the back for that ( or not, because my boyfriend is a pro at building things, and he helped me-haha!)

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, so pretty! You did such a good job making that wood look rustic! Love the hymn you painted on there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Hannah! You're so sweet :)

      Delete
  5. This is adorable! How crafty are you?!?

    agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger