Mary and Elizabeth

Thursday, December 12, 2013

   "My Soul Magnifies the Lord  

And my spirit has rejoiced in God 

my savior..."

Luke 1:46-47







My friends mantle this Christmas. Isn't it amazing?

     

       Once every month I meet with a group of woman at my church to fellowship, eat good food, and have a bible study.  Last night was our annual Christmas party and we went through the chapter which talked about Mary, the mother of Jesus. You guys, can you imagine being in Mary's shoes? I certainly can't. All I can say is that I would be completely and utterly terrified to tell a man I was betrothed to (Joseph) that an angel came to me and told me I was going to have a baby (as a virgin). You just know the instant the angel came to her and told her she was going to give birth to a son that she had a ton of questions and probably a ton of fears going through her mind, but she totally submitted herself to the Lord and completely surrendered to Him. In fact, her very words were " Behold the maidservant of the Lord! Let it be to me according to your will". What a response! What's so awesome about this story, is that Mary went to go visit Elizabeth after this. If you know anything about Elizabeth, then you know that the Lord really did a miraculous work in her life, as well. Elizabeth was pregnant at a really, really old age ( I think she was in her 80's?), and she was pregnant with John the Baptist at the this time. Do you see what I see? Two woman spending time together, talking about how much the Lord had blessed them. I can just imagine them encouraging one another, and worshiping God together during this special time in both their lives. I find it really neat that Mary had someone older and wiser to turn to who was also going through something similar to her. I think in a lot of ways we can relate to Mary's desire for someone to connect with; someone who is going through something similar, so we can encourage and be encouraged. This story just makes them seem so human, don't you think? Mary was just a young girl; she was human just like you and me, and for some reason the Lord chose her to give birth to His son who would become the savior of the world. Wow. 

Let Christmas be all about Jesus this year. 

Just something to ponder, my friends.













4 comments :

  1. Your blog is so dang cute - I am your newest follower!

    agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your thoughts on Mary! Your decor is beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Mary's story - I've been pregnant at Christmas-time with all three of my kids, and it makes me think about her in a whole new way! Her song in Luke 1 is one of my favorite passages too. What a beautiful heart she had!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can't even imagine being mary!!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger